Friday, May 7, 2010

Strawberries and the environment

Warning: I'm on a soapbox this afternoon about pesticides in our food supply! If this doesn't interest you please skip this post... but if you feel strongly about clean food/the environment/workplace safety... then please do read on... and don't forget to make sure your voice is heard by writing to your representatives!

The State of California is under pressure to allow the use of methyl iodide on strawberry crops. California provides about 80% of the strawberries grown in the U.S., so many are affected by this decision. Despite a letter written by Nobel prize winning scientists, and the fact that other countries have already banned methyl iodide because it depletes the ozone layer, and known carcinogenic properties (it's used to induce cancer in laboratory rats for experiments), California is considering rescinding its ban on methyl iodide.


This is a travesty on multiple levels. It creates a less safe environment for agricultural workers (who will be in direct contact with methyl iodide residue - here's what the EPA says about direct contact), it makes our food supply less safe (strawberries are notorious for absorbing whatever is sprayed on them because they are so porous), and it is one of many chemicals that destroys the ozone layer.

I encourage you to write to your representatives... I wrote to mine this morning. This isn't OK, people's health and safety cannot be compromised for agri-business profits.

OK, off my soap-box now!In case you're interested in what fruits and vegetables are most important to buy organic... check out this article called "7 foods you must eat organic".

2 comments:

  1. Jill thanks for sharing this. I wish organic fruits and vegetables were cheaper. You know how much I LOVE food but I get so frustrated going to the Farmer's Market and not being able to afford things. You know what it's like being on a student budget. I end up buying strawberries at safeway even though they're not super yummy. Any tips on how to save money or afford organic if you're low income?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a balancing act... I think it's a matter of trading off. Like, choose some $5 box of cereal that you can do without, and get organic strawberries in its place. I've started eating more oatmeal in an effort not to buy so much boxed cereal (and save money... I buy the raw oats...). Turns out I don't really miss cereal... anyway... I'm off track... but that's what I've done... buy a cheaper version of something other thing you spend money on... you could eat one more veggie meal a week and save them money from meat to trade for organic strawberries, less cereal... whatever works for you. Also check out today's post!

    ReplyDelete