Monday, May 10, 2010

Trade offs...

So, all this talk about strawberries (I hope you wrote your representatives!) has a lot of people wondering how to afford them. Organic strawberries just aren't in many budgets! No doubt... for me organic is usually a trade off...

Here are my strategies for saving money elsewhere to justify the organic strawberries, and no doubt everyone will do it differently... it's all about where you can pinch to reduce your exposure to pesticides... it's thoughtful consumption. Anyway, I have shaved grocery dollars by not buying as much cereal (hubby and I have started eating oatmeal for breakfast... raw oatmeal... not instant... that stuff is expensive too... and too mushy for my tastes... but, I digress). I am also trying to recommit to my bread machine because a loaf of bread is over $4! Yikes!

So, if you want to buy only some of your fruits and veggies organic to save money, here's a chart that will help you decide which ones are most important to buy organic, and which don't tend to hold a lot of pesticides... so maybe those don't have to be organic.

[I meant to post the great chart I found at the above link right here, but for whatever reason it isn't in a format to do that... sorry... you'll have to follow the link and scroll down just a bit to a multicolored chart. You can print it out and carry it with you to the market.]

No comments:

Post a Comment